Our quarterly newsletter, along with our web sites and
Facebook presence, is a critical tool in our efforts to keep our members
informed, and its quality reflects on our association. If you're a contributor (or want to be) you can help out by
following the guidelines below.
Guidelines for Articles
- Please submit your efforts in an editable format. Here's a list of acceptable formats in order of usability:
Do not submit a PDF. Read about the problems with PDFs.
- Body of an email (yes, just write your article directly into your email!)
- Plain text
- MS Word or Open Office
- Keep text and
photos separate. If you are submitting photos and text, please
don’t put them all in the same document. Imbedded photos are
difficult to separate from the parent document.
- Try to keep
your submissions in the 300-600 word range as much as
- Make sure that each photo is accompanied by a meaningful
caption. Photos without captions and attribution may not be used.
- Indicate in your text where you wish the photo inserted.
- Evaluate your article with a critical eye. Is the
subject matter of wide interest? Are abbreviations explained? Is
there enough background so that an uninitiated reader can
understand the content?
- Please pay attention to spelling, punctuation, and
formatting. While no one expects perfection, keep in mind that
each mistake has to be corrected by someone else at some point in
the editing process. Having someone read your article for clarity
and logic is also a good idea. You should use a tool such as
will do much to catch the typos and context errors. It's free.
- No double spaces separating sentences, please.
- Note that the approved descriptive text for 'C' Force
is as shown here (single quotes around the 'C').
- A "Headshot" and short bio of the author of the article will
add interest, so feel free to include them, with the author's
permission of course.
- Our digital edition is not constrained by length as is the
paper version which is limited to a finite number of pages, so try
and write your submissions with the critical information early in
the content. In that way its length can be edited if needed.
Guidelines for Photos
- Submit separately from the parent document (see above)
high-resolution photos - the editor will edit the size for the target
medium. Ensure that your email programme does not compress the
photos you are submitting.
- In the email body include a caption for each photo. When multiple photos are attached, make reference
to the specific photo file name if there is a possibility of
confusion. Captions should include:
- Event/place description, for instance: "VJ Day Ceremony
- Description of the photo. Where the focus is on people,
include names, appointments, and relationship to a 'C' Force
member if applicable.
- Particulars of the photographer, and, state that
appropriate permission to use the photo has been obtained.
- Examine the photos that you are considering with a critical eye
- photos that add little or nothing to the subject, photos with no
focal point, ones that are washed out or out of focus should not be
submitted and will not be published.
These are hard and fast dates and are posted on our Events
Calendar. They are the first day in March, June, September and
December. Please ensure submissions are in by those dates. If a
submission is ready ahead of time, feel free to submit it right away,
to ease the editor's workload. If an event is happening just after the
deadline, it may be possible to include it in the online edition.
Contact the editor for assistance.
(This is an initial effort, and will be expanded in future.) It
assumes that the membership will approve the BOD recommendation that
elections will only be held every two years as part of the AGM.
In each edition:
- HKVCA President's Message
- In Remembrance
- From the Editor
- Region Reports
Spring Edition (March):
- For election year: Publish BOD nominee list and Election instructions.
- Publish draft AGM minutes from previous year and year-end financial statement.
- Inform members of the Annual General Meeting as per our
- For convention year: ongoing publicity for the upcoming convention.
Summer Edition (June):
- For election year (no convention): Announce election results.
- Publicity for the upcoming convention every two years.
Autumn Edition (September)
- For convention year: The list of the upcoming
BOD members which were ratified by members at the Annual Meeting.
- For AGM scheduled as part of convention: Publicizing the Annual
General Meeting draft minutes.
Winter Edition (December)
- Call for nominations for the BOD and providing instructions and
deadlines (upcoming election year)
- Reminder to submit dues, and instructions. Include membership form (PDF) or link
- List of membership reps and their postal addresses so that those
who will wish to mail in membership dues for the coming year may do
so. For the online version a link to the appropriate page will be provided.
We have to continue to migrate from paper to digital format. The time, effort,
and cost that is required to produce and mail a paper version of the
newsletter is certainly not in line with the era in which we live. There are some older members of the association who
prefer a paper version, and we must keep their needs in mind, but the
reality is that the majority of people do not need, or want, a paper
version. Currently, mailing costs per individual per year eat up
almost all the yearly dues paid.
Comments and Suggestions
As Red Green used to say "We're all in this together", so please
forward comments and suggestions by selecting the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page.
Last updated in December 2023.