Our quarterly newsletter, along with our web sites and
Facebook presence, is a critical tool in our efforts to keep our members
informed, and its quality reflects on our association. If you're a contributor (or want to be) you can help out by
following the guidelines below.
Guidelines for Articles
- Please submit your efforts in an editable format (*.doc,
*.docx, *.odt, *txt, *.html) rather than PDF.
- Keep text and
photos separate. If you are submitting photos and text, please
don’t put them all in the same document. Imbedded photos are
difficult to separate from the parent document.
- Try to keep
your submissions in the 300 word range as much as
possible. A photo with a caption may be all that is needed in some
- Evaluate your article with a critical eye. Is the
subject matter of wide interest? Are abbreviations explained? Is
there enough background so that an uninitiated reader can
understand the content?
- Please pay attention to spelling, punctuation, and
formatting. While no one expects perfection, keep in mind that
each mistake has to be corrected by someone else at some point in
the editing process. Having someone read your article for clarity
and logic is also a good idea.
- A "Headshot" and short bio of the author of the article will
add interest, so feel free to include them, with the author's
permission of course.
- Our digital edition is not constrained by length as is the
paper version which is limited to a finite number of pages, so try
and write your submissions with the critical information early in
the content. In that way its length can be edited if needed.
Guidelines for Photos
- Submit separately from the parent document (see above)
high-resolution photos - the editor will edit the size for the target
- In the email body send along a short description of each photo that can be
used as a caption. When multiple photos are attached, make reference
to the specific photo file name if there is a possibility of
- Include the particulars of the photographer, and, if needed,
state that permission to use the photo has been obtained.
- Examine the photos that you are considering with a critical eye
- photos that add little or nothing to the subject, photos with no
focal point, ones that are washed out or out of focus should not be
submitted and will not be published.
These are hard and fast dates and are posted on our Events
Calendar. They are the first Sunday in March, June, September and
December. Please ensure submissions are in by those dates. If a
submission is ready ahead of time, feel free to submit it right away,
to ease the editor's workload. If an event is happening just after the
deadline, it may be possible to include it in the online edition.
Contact the editor for assistance.
(This is an initial effort, and will be expanded in future.)
In each edition:
- HKVCA President's Message
- HKVA President's Message
- In Remembrance
- Region Reports
- For AGM scheduled for summer: Informing members of the Annual General Meeting as per our
- Request for nominations for the Board of Directors (BOD) for the
upcoming calendar year
- List of nominees who have put their names forward for the BOD
and a ballot, or if no vote is required, the list of the upcoming
BOD members which will be ratified by members at the Annual Meeting.
- For AGM scheduled for Dec: Informing members of the Annual General Meeting as per our
- List of BOD members for the upcoming year
- Reminder to submit dues, and instructions.
- List of membership reps and their postal addresses so that those
who will wish to mail in membership dues for the coming year may do
We have to continue to migrate from paper to digital format. The time, effort,
and cost that is required to produce and mail a paper version of the
newsletter is certainly not in line with the era in which we live. There are some older members of the association who
prefer a paper version, and we must keep their needs in mind, but the
reality is that the majority of people do not need, or want, a paper
version. Currently, mailing costs per individual per year eat up well
over half the yearly dues paid.
Comments and Suggestions
As Red Green used to say "We're all in this together", so please forward comments and suggestions to our group using this
group address, or just to the